We built a small city
in our first 100 years.
We'll Design/Build another
in our second.

1905 to 1920 – From small acorns…
In 1905, William H. Cooper decided to diversify from his Hamilton brick-making and masonry contracting businesses and ventured into general contracting. W. H. Cooper Construction Ltd was born with limited capital but possessed unlimited ambition, a strong work ethic, and uncompromising quality standards.

Leading up to and through WW1, the young company grew in the Hamilton and Niagara Peninsula industrial community, winning ever larger contracts – including the vast Mercury Mills factory/warehouse in Hamilton in 1917 and, two years later, the Hoover Suction Sweeper Co. facility.

During the Roaring Twenties and into the ‘30s, the founder’s son, Ralph William Cooper, began learning the company’s business — as Cooper Construction “followed the market” and built throughout Western Ontario, in Kitchener, Guelph, London, Woodstock and Ingersoll.

Bell Canada became a major client — an association that continued into the 1950s as Cooper built Bell’s switch exchanges and offices throughout southwestern Ontario.

Ralph Cooper took the helm in 1937. In the early years of his stewardship, the company’s focus was largely on building for secondary manufacturers and lighter industry.

During the 1950s and ’60s, however, the company’s reputation grew, and more diverse projects were added to the portfolio as Cooper developed substantial expertise and business in the institutional sector. Cooper built private schools, university buildings, libraries, and completed a variety of hospital construction projects. Cooper also built research centres for McMaster University

Cooper continued earning an enviable reputation in these market sectors into the 1970’s — a decade which also saw Cooper awarded construction of several Sears stores.

The ’70s saw Cooper Construction pull up its Hamilton roots and move to a new Head Office in Etobicoke — a move driven by the Toronto location of many Cooper clients.

In 1978, the third generation took the helm of the company, as Bill Cooper assumed the presidency.

Relocation to Toronto spurred rapid growth and the most significant evolution in the company’s history — as Cooper committed to industrial Design/Build, while continuing to offer general contracting services.

Cooper acquired industrial sites in Etobicoke, Brampton, Mississauga and Oakville. They could now offer a complete Design/Build package — from land and concept to turnkey commissioning.

The economic downturn of the early 1990s forced the majority of builders to make choices. Cooper decided to remain a Design/Build single-source contractor, focused on suburban office, manufacturing, retail, and industrial distribution and warehouse construction.

Cooper continues to serve long-term clients in building private schools, multi-storey parking garages, broadcast facilities, and other specialized premises.

As the new millennium began, Cooper was positioned to meet new challenges in three primary business sectors: Design/Build construction, commercial and industrial real estate development, and facilities management.

In 2004, the company completed the first industrial building in Canada to earn LEED® certification.

In 2005, Cooper celebrated its centennial year. As it marked this milestone, the company determined its future beyond its traditional local marketplace – in the acquisition and development of industrial parks throughout southwestern Ontario.  In 2007, the purchase of 180 acres on Hanlon Expressway, made Cooper the largest industrial land developer in the prime GTA location of Guelph.

In 2007, construction began on the largest building in the company’s history—a 1.12 million s.f. distribution centre.

In 2010, Cooper’s history of embracing innovative new technologies continued, as the company completed Ontario’s first structural bubble-deck slab installation.

To be continued…

 
Cooper Construction Limited.,
2381 Bristol Circle, Ste. C200
Oakville, Ontario L6H 5S9
   
Telephone: 905-829-0444
Fax: 905-829-0080
Email: info@coopercon.com